Opened as Aberdeen Joint: 4th November, 1867.
Renamed Aberdeen: 1952.
Aberdeen Joint Station was opened by Great North of Scotland Railway and Scottish North Eastern Railway to replace the Aberdeen Railway's Guild Street Station and the Great North of Scotland Railway's Waterloo Station. The Joint Station originally consisted of three through roads faced by a single platform, plus four bay platforms. The station was later expanded to four through platforms and four bay platforms at each end. The north end of the station was drastically cut back in the early 1970s with a shopping centre being built above the site. Only two through platforms remain at this now dark and unpleasant end of the station.
Highland Railway Small Ben Class 4-4-0 No. 2 Ben Alder departs from Aberdeen Joint Station with the 2.20pm train to Inverness on 3rd August, 1911. [Ken Nunn/LCGB]( Collapse )